My Running Journal, Product Reviews, 5K 10K Half Marathon Racing News, Running Inspiration

Monday, November 2, 2015

Running After 40

Running After 40

I was hoping that the summer of 2015 would pattern after previous summers.

I’d get a slow start, recovering from winter inactivity, and then get back into my running groove by June.

This year was a different story. This year was my first summer running after the age of forty. It’s been a struggle to get my speed and endurance back to where I was last year. 

There’s been days that I’ve considered hanging up my running shoes but I don't think that will ever happen. 

I celebrated my fortieth birthday in January, 2015. Within a year’s time I’ve struggled with weight gain, fatigue and I already have a wealthy collection of reading glasses.

Running has been a part of my life since I was in elementary school. My friends and I raced in the streets. We’d have races during gym class. When I participated in my first major track meet at the age of 13, I knew that running is something I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

Today I still love the sport as much as I ever did, but my faith, family and career takes precedence.

Perhaps if I had more time to focus on running, I would still be chasing my 5K PR of 23 minutes. Did I mention I’ve never been an elite runner? (Smile)

I suppose what’s most important is that I keep running… that I keep giving my best to a sport that I’ve loved since a child.

As I learn to appreciate the strength I still have and the dawning of a new day, I’m finding that running after 40 is a wonderful thing.

When I consider retiring from my runs and my dreams of running a full marathon, something inside of me just can’t let go.

What I must let go of is the disappointment of 10 minute mile times and the need to have to stop and walk from time to time.

Running after 40 just means I have to focus more on strength training, stretching and eating a healthy diet every day.

How do I run after 40? I put one foot in front of the other and enjoy and ride.

~ Candra Evans
Follow my other blogs!






No comments:

Post a Comment